Skip to content

UK bikers must comply with Continuous Insurance Enforcement rules this winter

December 30, 2011

Some bikers tend not to use their motorbikes or scooters during the winter months, and prior to April this year, it was just a simple case of keeping the bike in the garage and perhaps ending your insurance until you are ready to use it again.  The new rules in the United Kingdom however mean that bikers who would have previously done this now either need to keep their bike insured throughout the year or declare it SORN while it is not being used.

Here are some of the points you need to know:

  • If you’re fully taxed and insured you don’t need to do anything until your tax and insurance run out.
  • If you’re taxed and uninsured (even if you’re off the road) you must either insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA.
  • If you’re not taxed or insured you must make a SORN and keep your vehicle off the road.
  • If you’re not taxed but are insured you must make a SORN and keep your vehicle off the road.

Failure to insure your bike without declaring SORN means bikers could face a court prosecution and up to £1,000 fine.

To combat this, MotorCycle Direct and Sorn Insurance have been working together to provide a new Laid Up Fire & Theft bike insurance policy which allows bikers to avoid SORNing a bike while its safely stored away but still insured at a lower cost.

Bikers (and car drivers) can find out more about the policy at and get online quotes, allowing them to consider which method is most suitable for them, whilst complying with the law.

This post has been written by Josh Evans of Motorcycle Direct for UK France


If you’re based in France and want to take part of the fight against the Government’s proposed introduction of a compulsory annual environmental and road safety test for motorcycles and their continued policy to ban motorcyclists from filtering through traffic, then contact the Fédération Française des Motards en Colère (FFMC – French Federation of Angry Bikers).

Si vous habitez en France et souhaitez participer aux manifestations contre la proposition du gouvernement d’introduire un controle technique pour les 2 roues motorises ansi que de continuer a empecher la circulation inter files pour les motocyclistes dans les embouteillages, contactez la Fédération Française des Motards en Colère (FFMC).


Please join and support the campaign to stop Westminster Council from stealth taxing motorcyclists to park before their scheme spreads all over the UK and the rest of Europe. For further details, visit

Rejoignez le groupe de manifestants contre le stationnement payant des motocyclistes a Westminster avant que cela ne se propage dans le reste du Royaume-Uni et l’Union Europeenne. Pour plus d’informations, consultez


If you have a story you would like to see published on UK France, please contact us here.

Si vous avez une experience a partager et que vous souhaiteriez voir publiee sur UK France, n’hesitez pas a nous contacter en cliquant ici.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: